New features by default in the new version Edit
Upgrading Mediawiki will provide new features to enhance our Mass Networking Wiki. The biggest advantage is that there's many useful extensions for the latest version.
Change the configuration to:
- Allow users to receive an e-mail whenever a watched page is changed
- Allow users to receive an e-mail whenever their talk page is changed
New features implemented through extensions Edit
Here are some proposals that were tested in Mediawiki 1.15.1. Ask me (Osvaldo) if you need a bundle with all the required extensions. I just have to create a zip from one of my websites.
Inserting RSS feeds in pages Edit
Insert in our wiki lists of links that point too:
- Last items from Greenpeace websites (news, blogs, podcasts...)
- Last headlines from Google News searches
- Blog searches
- Twitter searches
- Twitter accounts
- Flicker accounts, groups, searches
- Any Friendfeed content (Content from almost any social network)
- Shared items in Google Reader
A good tool bar Edit
When you are editing an article, you can optionally have a complete toolbar. It helps users that are not familiar with Mediawiki syntax.
It will be possible to generate graphics trough Mediawiki:
Collaborative maps Edit
It will be possible to insert maps on pages and people can collaborate on them.
Extension: Google Maps
Inserting videos on pages Edit
It will be possible to insert videos from Youtube and many other video sites.
The widgets extension will allow you to add the MN pages many widgets. Administrators can choose which widgets to add. Security and functionality should be considered before adding the possibility to use a new widget. It's also possible to build new widgets easily.
- All Google Gadgets
- Google Books
- Picasa photo album widget
- All Widgetbox
- Flickr Search widget
- Ohloh.net widgets:
- LinkedIn profile and company
- SlideShare slideshow
- Wikipedia article embedding widget
Dynamic page lists Edit
It allows you to insert in the MNW pages scripts that generate lists of other pages. Useful to organize the wiki.
Semantic MediaWiki extensions Edit
A bundle of cool extensions which make the wiki work more like a database engine. See http://semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Semantic_MediaWiki
LDAP integration Edit
No more special logins. And no more timing out of login sessions after 30 minutes or so aaaaaargh! :-)
- Redesign of the main page (Done)
- Redesign of the Mass Networking category (Done)